Sunday, June 15, 2014

Thing 23-Evaluate 23 Mobile Things

Overall the 23 Mobile Things MN has been a wonderful experience.  I think I really learned more than I had anticipated.  I sort of had an attitude of, "Well, I'm a digital native, a naturally-curious librarian, and someone who has had an iPhone for several years and used her first tablet in the fourth grade...what am I really going to learn here?"  But, I decided to do the program anyway because:

1) Its free. I'm a temporary substitute in one position and a part timer in another, which generally means neither job has allocated funds/time off/anything for my professional development or continuing education.  If I want to do something or attend something, costs are out of my own pocket and its done on my own time.  23 Mobile Things was great because its free, and was something that could be picked away at over several months, so I could fit it in around both jobs and my personal life.
2) I'm a naturally curious librarian.
3) I probably don't know as much as I think I do, and I realize that!
4) Why not?

I'm definitely glad I did complete the 23 Things.  I found apps that I didn't even realize existed (case in point-Apps Gone Free-an app you use to find other apps...WHAT?!) and apps that could be really useful and make life easier (document editing and presentation apps come to mind).  I also found fun apps that I now love and use all the time-Instagram and Snapchat, Duolingo, and various games apps come to mind.  I even used my county library system's app for the first time (and many times since then) as a direct result of this thing, despite the fact that it is not only a library I work for but also my home library system. 

I would definitely participate again if another 23 Things type program was offered. 23 Mobile Things MN has been a good experience and a lot of fun, and I learned quite a bit!  Big thanks to everyone who had a part in making this happen-it takes a lot of work to put something like this together and keep it going, and I definitely appreciate it!!  Cheers!  ~Olivia

No comments:

Post a Comment