Friday, June 13, 2014

Thing 20-GAMES!

Ok all, I am super excited about this thing!  My friends and I are big gamers-board, tabletop, card, phone; you name it, we play it!  I'll try to keep this relatively short...Try.

Sadly, one of the games in the official 23 Things post for this Thing, Take Ten! (one of the few I hadn't already heard of or tried, and was actually super excited about) isn't available for Apple.  It's a cruel world, folks.  But I've got plenty of others!

Candy Crush Saga (Apple and Android)-As stated on the official 23 Things page, you can't have a games Thing without mentioning Candy Crush Saga!  I first heard about the app at the Medical Library Association's 2013 Annual Conference.  One of the speakers had his current CCS level in his introduction, and when I heard the chorus of impressed 'Ooohs!' and 'Ahs!' around the room I knew I had to see what the hype was about.  If you've played Bejeweled, CCS is very similar.  Super easy to learn and very addictive.  Its one of my favorite time killers when I have a few spare minutes here or there, and it doesn't require wifi or data to play, which is always a plus. [Free, with in-app purchase options]

Another huge one is Words With Friends, or its sister app Scramble With Friends (Apple and Android).  WWF is essentially like Scrabble, you play one opponent (it can be random or a friend via Facebook or your contacts).  SWF again allows you to challenge friends (or random opponents) to a three-round game, only this time it presents you with a 4x4 grid of letters from which you have to make words.  If you like word search puzzles, you'll love this app since its essentially the same thing but adds the fun of challenging a friend. I love love love these apps!  [Free and pro versions, with in-app purchase options]

Scrabble-If you like the board game, you'll like the app (Apple and Android)!  Play AI (computer generated) components, Facebook friends, random opponents, or in pass-and-play mode (multiple players sharing one device in one location) etc.  Generally, I only use this app when I want to play an AI game.  If I'm going to play something like this with live opponents, I'm going to use WWF, but Scrabble is a great, easy to use alternative when I can't (lack of wifi etc) play a live game or have a few minutes to kill!  [Free]

Text Twist 2 (Apple and Android) is another word game.  You are presented with a number of letters and have to find all the possible words that can be made from those letters.  There are a few different gameplay modes, but that's the gist of it.  Super easy to learn, mildly addicting, and if you like word games, you'll probably love this one.  ($0.99 for Apple, Free or $1.99 for Android)

If you're familiar with the board game Ticket to Ride you'll be pleased to know there is an app version (Apple and Android)!  If not, TTR is a competitive strategy game where you build train routes across a map, fighting to get the longest trains, best routes, and most points (its much more fun than my description makes it sound like!).  App gameplay is identical to the board game (there is also a great tutorial on the app if you need it), but the app's key feature is its flexibility!  On a road trip?  Pass the phone (or iPad/device) around to each passenger in the car and play live on one device.  Multiple devices on the same wifi network?  Start a local game and each play on your own device!  By yourself?  Play other random opponents live OR play up to four AI characters!  I've had this app for years, and I never get sick of it.  [Currently $6.99 in the Apple app store, but they often have sales; additional in-app purchase options for more maps.  SO WORTH IT.]

Sudoku by Finger Arts is another favorite [Apple only, I think]!  If you are somehow unfamiliar with Sudoku, its a number based logic game that seems mind boggling at first glance but is relatively simple and very addictive!  Another good time killer that doesn't require wifi, this is a pretty basic, not-to-many frills app for Sudoku.  There are a few appearance options, some game play options, and increasing levels of difficulty that unlock as you successfully complete puzzles-what more could you need? [Free]

Did you ever play the Gold Miner game online growing up (or recently...no judgement!)? (http://www.goldminergames.net/gold-miner.php)  My friend and I played the heck out of that thing when we were teens, and I was pumped to find out it is available as an app (Apple and Android, titled Gold Miner Classic HD Free on Android)!  Called Classic Miner Free for Apple, it replicates the original game exactly for a shot of nostalgic, addictive fun!  If you're not familiar with it, you are a gold miner and have to get gold, diamonds, and other treasure (or rocks, if you're unlucky!) from the ground using a swinging hook mechanism in a series of increasingly difficult layouts.  Super easy to catch on, super hard to stop!  [Free]

Ok, that's already eight games.  I better stop here, but trust me I could go all day!  Generally there probably isn't a whole lot of direct library application for this one, aside from possible use in programming.  On International Games Day, for example, my library had all sorts of games-video, table top, etc.  I don't think we had any iPad in there (I could be wrong-I didn't actually participate in planning or running this event), but we very easily could have loaded up a couple iPads with games and let users play individually or in groups for pass-and-play games like Ticket To Ride and Scrabble.  BRB, gotta go do some gaming!  :)

No comments:

Post a Comment