Wednesday, March 5, 2014

Thing 5-Notetaking

Hello again! 

Today I'm posting on Thing 5-Notetaking! In the past, it never really occurred to me that there were apps dedicated to notetaking. iPhones come standard with a 'Notes' app, so I've always just used that for my notes. I've got recipes, goals, to-do lists, movies and TV shows I'd like to watch, and so on.  However, all the notetaking apps seem to have many advantages over the traditional Apple 'Notes' app in that they are much more flexible and you can do much more with them.

I chose to use Springpad, available for Apple and Android, because it seemed to be one of the most versatile apps. Indeed, upon setup I saw there are 8 templates for different types of notes that you can use within the app: recipes, for later, tasks, work project, quick notes, books, movies, and home improvement. 

Unfortunately, the app wasn't as flexible as I'd have wanted. For example, I took several years of American Sign Language while in college, and recently I've been considering making it a goal to practice at least two hours each week, just to keep the rust off. I thought the "Tasks" portion of the app would be perfect for this goal-I could go in and check it off as I get my two hours done each week. Well, there was no way to create on-going tasks or add elements such as time requirements.  I'd have to add a new task for practicing ASL manually each and every week, for each hour I intended to practice. Not worth the time investment, in my opinion.

I have, in the week or so that I've had the app, used it several times to take quick notes-a trial code for a new website, things of that nature. I already track recipes in another app, so I haven't used that feature. Another feature I've not used, but see great potential for (especially in the library) is the ability to collaborate. You can, for example, create a task-list of things that need competing for a project, then multiple users can access it and check things off as it gets done.  This could be extremely useful when working on projects with coworkers at the library. Rather than a long chain of emails, a physical checklist, or any other alternative means of tracking progress, the app would allow easy access for multiple users to check off, and keep track of tasks! I love this idea and will definitely keep the app in mind in the future!

On a related note-another way I frequently "take notes" with my phone is by simply taking a picture of something. Imagine seeing a flyer for an upcoming event at the library-instead of copying all the information down in a notetaking app, why not just snap a picture?  It takes much less time, and then you have your own copy of the original thing! And, if you snap a photo rather than taking a copy of a flier, you're reducing waste. Then, once the event or whatever it may be is over, you simply delete the photo. I actually have shared this tip with a few patrons before, and their reaction is typically something along the lines of, "Why didn't I think of that?!" In a world where we always have our phones with us, and they all come with pretty darn good cameras, it makes sense! 

1 comment:

  1. I really like the idea of using the collaboration function on the app. I didn't even think of that.
    I've also started to use pictures to note web addresses and logins that I can never seem to remember.

    ReplyDelete